Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Priorities

I ran across an article that mentioned a famous painting called, Left Behind: Mountains Ahead. It showed discarded goods of a wagon train as people were forced to give up treasured possessions to lighten the load for the greater good of getting safely over the mountains. I looked it up on the internet and saw the artist’s conception of pieces of nice furniture, a chest with clothing and jewelry spilling out, and an ornate full-length mirror scattered incongruously across the prairie.

It reminded me of moving from our house to share the house of our son’s family recently. I had to decide on what to take and what to leave behind and put into storage. We could take enough to furnish a small den and a spacious bedroom, plus, of course, winter clothing and personal items. At first, our new place had a decorator look, with carefully placed accessories and furniture arrangements. But each time I returned to our former home, I collected a few more items. I just couldn’t leave my beautiful books, favorite wall art, a footstool or small table that could surely fit into a corner, let alone any of a dozen pair of shoes I had to have.

Finally I had to stop. But the funny thing is, I don’t even miss the other stuff now! In fact, it’s kind of a relief not to have to dust it and be distracted by it. Buying and collecting things (especially at estate sales!) is so fun and entertaining, but when you have them in your possession, you have to make room for them and take care of them. It’s almost as if things own you. But to be free of things (not that I am completely, of course) is an exhilarating feeling! To be in the midst of family trumps boredom and loneliness surrounded by inanimate objects anytime!

We read in the Bible of Paul’s exciting journey to Rome as a prisoner aboard a ship. When a major storm called Euroclydon, a northeaster, arose, they had to begin to lighten the ship (Acts 27:18). On the third day, they threw the ship’s tackle overboard. By verse 37, after Paul encouraged the terrified sailors to eat, they further lightened the ship and threw the wheat into the sea. Later, they cast off the anchors and left them in the tempestuous sea, v.30. (Even though the ship eventually fell apart, all were saved from drowning as God had assured Paul.)

I’m sure at some point I’ll be happy to be reunited with our “stuff”; after all, much of it is full of memories. But the intangible things that we hold in our heart are the most important. The prophetic scripture in Hebrews 12:26-27, echoes Haggai 2:6-7 when it says, “Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.” Material things are temporal, or temporary, but the unseen is eternal. And it doesn’t weigh a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment