Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Favor

Oh, how cute! I thought when I saw the little Castle Tent in the circular. That would be perfect to take to my five-year-old granddaughter (who is all about princesses) when we see her tomorrow! It was Howard’s day off and I suggested we drive to our “shopping town” where the store is located. The big sale was to start Monday, and that was today. I was a little fuzzy on the details, though, but I was thinking the special prices began at 4:00 pm.

We took the toy to the register. “I know it’s not four o’clock yet,” my husband said to the cashier, “but can we get this for the special price? We’re from out of town.”

The young man checked the sale paper. “No,” he said, “This goes on sale on Black Friday.” Black Friday! That would be Thursday at midnight, and we would be in Texas by then! I wanted to go ahead and pay the full price, but Howard wanted to think about it. Oh, well, she has too many toys, anyway, I consoled myself. Disappointment hung like a stubborn cloud in the back of my mind as I walked away. I checked out some advertised boots, but the rock bottom prices were for Friday, too.

I looked around for my husband, and I glimpsed him at the register. He was buying the tent! “Did you change your mind?” I asked him. He was in a jovial mood, and the clerk was saying something about how much he had saved! “What happened?” I asked him as he handed me the bag.

A woman had been standing at the counter with her purchases, and hearing our discussion with the cashier, Howard told me she had said to the clerk, “Can’t you come up with some coupons or something for this man?” Evidently he had, giving us 20%-and 15%-off coupons that were in effect all day Monday! I had forgotten about that! With the 35% reduction, we got our purchase for less than the sale price! Thank you, Lord!

I thought about that last night at our Bible study when the leader asked for any testimonies. A man had just disclosed that he had had a distinct impression from the Lord that when we hold our arms up and out in worship, it is like a funnel for us to receive from God. (I visualized a hopper car on a train.) We had started the meeting with praise choruses including the one which says, “I saw the Lord: He was high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.” Howard’s sermon title on Sunday! He had already shared about our spiritual blessings that day when the visitor sang “Holy Ground”, so apropos for his message.

So I told about my bargain. Then the leader, passing me a notebook, asked me to read the word he had written previously at the top of the page for his topic: RECEIVE. In Matthew 10:8, the Bible say, “Freely you have received, freely give.” Matthew 10:8. Truly the reason for being blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment