Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Sower Went Forth to Sow

I don’t think they’re getting anything out of this, I thought to myself. I had accompanied my husband to do a service at the nursing home, and the patients that had been brought to the meeting room seemed particularly unresponsive to the music.

Not to be deterred, Howard kept trying to engage them. “You’re singing great!" he exulted, although it was really just the two of us singing, since I had added my thin, alto voice to his eager efforts. Once in a while, someone’s lips moved almost indiscernibly to the lyrics, and that seemed like a major accomplishment. I was touched, though, when I had modeled the motion to “raise your hands to the One you love the best,” one unsteady arm went up.

We tried to ignore the constant diatribe by one angry patient, obviously the victim of senile dementia, who chanted, “No! I don’t like that! I don’t want that!” scowling fiercely as she flailed her arm threateningly at us. She was a child again, asserting her will by refusing something--food, wardrobe selection or decision--that some long-ago adult had thrust upon her. No one seemed to pay any attention to her, most seemingly withdrawn into their own world in a state of passive acceptance.

Howard cajoled, encouraged and ministered to them far beyond the extent of my endurance, and after an hour was almost gone, I sat down. He had started to gather his things, but laid them down and picked up the guitar again for a final strum and farewell refrain. One lady had a tentative smile on her face, and an attendant had been enjoying the concert. As I passed the chair of one of the most attentive patients on the way out, she reached out to touch me. Bending down, I strained my ear to her say in her faint, wavering voice, “We really appreciate that. We enjoyed it so much.”

In the car, I asked Howard what the activities director had said to him during a brief conversation when we had first come in. He said he had reminded her that we could visit rooms where patients were sad and depressed to try to cheer them, and she had responded, “Oh, this group fits that category! Go right ahead.” Hopefully we had succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment