Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mid-week Visitation

We had had a wonderful, anointed song service last night at church, and the spirited, substitute pianist was asked to sing a special song before she returned to her seat. When this dear lady sings and plays, all heaven comes down. Lost in the Spirit, she thunders on the keys, her aged body rocking back and forth, and fairly belts out worship songs that make you want to dance in the aisles.

Thankfully, our pastor was sensitive to the Holy Spirit and recognized the congregation’s willingness to yield to Him. “Let’s just all come to the altar to seek God, especially for our upcoming revival,” he entreated. There would be no sermon tonight, but we would hear from heaven. God met with us as many knelt, stood, or worshipped at their seats.

Finally, I rose from the altar where I was praying beside my husband and sat down on the front row. I noticed a young man kneeling alone at the altar, his head buried in his arms in prayer. A newcomer, here on a work assignment from out of state, he had previously expressed gratefulness for finding our church, though different from his own denomination.

Suddenly I felt drawn to go to him, and, uncharacteristically for me, I laid my hand on his shoulder and asked him if he had been baptized in the Holy Spirit. He lifted his head slightly and said he didn’t know. He nodded when I asked if he would like to be filled with the Spirit. Soon he was praying with uplifted hands, tears streaming down his face. I got my husband to come and pray for him, also, and others gathered around joining him as his prayers turned to praise and rejoicing.

Although it wasn’t scheduled for another couple of weeks, revival was here! Pastor asked the young man if he wanted to say anything as he got to his feet a little later.

“I might have told you,” he began, “I used to go to a Pentecostal church when I was in high school. But that was a long time ago. I hadn’t been in that kind of church since, until I came here,” he said, wiping his eyes. “My mother has been praying for me these many years when I haven’t been right with God. She’ll be so happy God has answered her prayers.”

God answered a lot of prayers last night, including my prayer for renewed strength and healing from a physical infirmity I’d had lately. Doctor’s tests the day before hadn’t revealed the cause for my fatigue and weakness, but I am already feeling stronger today, thanks to the faith-renewing touch of God’s Spirit last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment