Friday, March 18, 2011

Space Wars

My husband is an opportunist! He takes every opportunity to take advantage of a space I have freed up by arranging his books and papers there! Recently I was having a group of ladies over, and in an effort to restore something of the spacious look we had when we moved here three years ago, I moved a table from behind the sofa to a bedroom. We’d downsized to this smaller house and it’s a challenge to make everything fit (especially if you’re just short of a hoarder!).

Howard has his huge desk in our room, finding a workspace in the midst of the organized clutter of office paraphernalia (I counted three staplers), his pens and colored pencils lined up neatly and stacks of carefully penned yellow legal pads, books and ledgers surrounding him, not to mention the Bibles. Then when insomnia strikes and requires he read, to spare me the desk light, he heads to the kitchen in the wee hours where I find it difficult to make breakfast later for all the Bibles, Evangel magazines, and study material he has left opened at strategic pages all over the table.

The sofa table tucked surprisingly well into one corner of the spare bedroom, and camouflaged with a colorful patchwork quilt and with the smaller rocker I had switched out, it looked positively cozy. In front of the window and with a floor lamp beside it, I could see this as a desk and computer corner for me. Also, a place for me to have a quiet time while he studies mornings in our room before his part-time afternoon job.

Why was I not surprised when I walked in there the day after my ladies’ meeting to find my husband comfortably ensconced in my nook, coffee mug in hand and happily relaxing in the rocking chair reading a magazine, several books stacked or open on the table, with bookmarks in place that sent a “do not disturb” message? Oh the joys of (semi-) retirement!

Jesus told us when we pray to enter into our closet and shut the door. I guess that’s what I’ll have to do! (Or wait until he goes to work to enjoy “my” space!)

No comments:

Post a Comment