Thursday, March 17, 2011

Picture It!

“Mom, is your computer on?” My son asked when I answered my cell phone. I told him no, then he asked me to turn it on.

“I’m not home right now,” I told him. Actually, I was in a dressing room trying on clothes. It was almost 80 degrees today, prompting thoughts of spring and summer duds. “Why? What’s on?” He said he’d made a little video and I promised to look at it as soon as I got home.

Later, as we were driving home, I said to my husband, “I wonder if Maddie got her birthday present yet.” I’d ordered it several days ago, and tomorrow would be my granddaughter’s 2nd birthday. “That’s it!” I exclaimed, “Jamie has made a video of her opening her birthday present!” I remembered telling him that I’d love to see her opening it and wishing he could make a video!

It captured the scene in every dramatic detail, from the tantalizingly slow tearing off of the packaging, to Maddie’s delighted squeal when she saw her Lady Bug Pillow Pet and her possessive rush to the farthest corner of the room, hugging it to her body as she ran while her sister looked on. (Anne-Marie got a consolation prize, though: a Pillow Pet game was included in the box.)

A picture really is worth a thousand words. My son is the master of understatement, and I knew if I merely asked him how Maddie liked her birthday present, he would only say, “I guess she liked it, she’s playing with it,” or some other non-committal statement. (His highest praise for some special thing or event has always been, “It’s alright, or, “It was alright,” even though he knows it drives me crazy.) But seeing is believing, so I am a happy camper.

I heard a preacher on television last night reiterating the truth that Jesus is returning for those “who love His appearing.” I find myself getting so caught up in life that I forget to anticipate the life to come. But when the world is getting too troubled, I do think of the joys that await us over yonder. It’s kind of like a distant trip or vacation I have planned--I put it in the back of my mind, not allowing myself to dwell on it or become consumed with it, and suddenly, it’s right around the corner, and I get excited! Many have had visions or heavenly experiences that whet our anticipation, and we wish that for ourselves. But Jesus said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed.” In that case, a few words from Him are worth a thousand pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thelma,

    My nickname for our little granddaughter is 'Ladybug', and last year (or the year before) I bought her a ladybug pillow pet and she loves it!

    And it IS comforting to know that this life is not all there is...that we have so much more to look forward to.

    Thank you for the 'welome back'...all is well. I just needed a little time off to recharge and re-evaluate my priorities.

    I'll be back later to read your older posts...I have a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete