Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Day to Remember

Our granddaughter, Sarah, is getting married in a month, so I am on the lookout for a dress for the wedding. Yesterday was a beautiful day, and my husband’s day off from work, so we set out to a nearby town with more shopping possibilities. It was slim pickings in the dress department, with most being bare, scanty styles, excluding one that might have worked, except for the too short sleeves and the too high price.

Never missing an opportunity to scan the casual shirts and tops, I saw some lovely ones on sale that fit perfectly (almost). Casting a longing eye at them, I tried another store without success in either category. Oh, well, we were hungry and wanted to eat lunch anyway. Walking out, I almost bumped into a display and said, “Oh, look at that beautiful blouse! I wish it were in my size!” I checked, and it was! I took it without even trying it on (my husband was impatient)! My spirits were definitely buoyed as we stepped out into the brilliant sunshine to go to lunch.

We almost went to our favorite place, but at the last minute I suggested an Italian restaurant I’d been to before with a ladies’ group. I wasn’t sure Howard would like it, but as soon as we stepped in to the high-ceilinged, terra cotta-embellished interior, complete with a balcony and Italian kitchen, I could tell he was impressed. Their special of the day was a wonderful pasta, with salad and fresh-baked bread. We thoroughly enjoyed the tasty lunch amid the décor of huge porcelain urns, archways and colorful appointments.

We would be glad we had our light-hearted outing to remember when we found sad news on the internet when we got home. A good friend from “back home” had passed away, someone we had gone to church with for years. A brave fighter, he had struggled with his health the entire time we had known him, yet I never remember hearing him complain. Rather, he was always ready to do a job around the church or help out a friend.

My favorite memory of Danny was of him mowing the church grounds on the riding mower, singing at the top of his lungs and praising the Lord with his huge grin. Howard was remembering the time they were Wise Men in a Christmas play together, and Danny’s rolled up trouser legs kept falling down beneath the hem of the robe costume. Recalling happy times helps us smile through tears and be grateful for God’s goodness. Danny’s real life is just beginning, and until then we cherish our earthly life and family celebrations. I will find a dress for the wedding. (Oh yes, the blouse fit perfectly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment