Sunday, February 25, 2018

Threshold

Howard has been wanting a goat to add to his menagerie, and at last he located one. I went with him to check on it yesterday. We finally found the edge-of-town address in a distant community--a big, old-fashioned house with a red barn in back. I opted to stay in the van on this damp, chilly day, but I enjoyed the panorama opening up before me.

First, I noticed a flock of well-feathered, plump hens of various description in a large enclosure, happily pecking and strolling around their environment. Not only were there hens, but also a few turkeys and ducks! Then I became aware of interesting looking dogs which seemed of expensive breed in their own pens.

Presently two small, well-bundled children came out of the house, accompanied by their mother. Shortly they were petting and walking with several miniature donkeys who followed them like puppies. This looked like a petting zoo, and I hadn't even seen the goat yet!

I got a glimpse of the longish-haired billy when the men emerged from the pasture beyond the out-buildings. The owners stressed that it was a Nigerian goat, and generally docile and easy to handle. We will see, as it comes home tomorrow!

We had to stop on an errand at Lowe's on the way back to town. At this big store, entry is at one end of the building, but the check-out is farther down at another exit. Our vehicle was not nearly as close as when we went in.

"Is that our van?" I asked my fearless leader, pointing to a silver one not far off. He said he thought so, but a look-alike was parked in a lane beyond us. I hurried against the cold wind and came around the van when I gasped! Someone had put a long, ugly scrape and dent in the side! Why do these things have to happen to us, I groaned! We'd had a hit and run incident on our sedan several months before!

I grabbed the door handle and looked up to see a very large lady with a plump elbow in the window! I had almost gotten into the wrong car! Ours was the one in the distance! What a relief!

Jesus said He is the door to the sheep fold. Seeing all the animals and the tender care they were given made me think of this. His is the only door I want to enter!

"Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily,I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep...I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and go in and out and find pasture." John 10:7,9.

1 comment: