Thursday, September 28, 2017

Light My Lamp!

My lamp quit working, so my husband rewired it! Or should I say "we" rewired it, because I was at his beck and call when he needed help. "Hold this flash light for me!" he entreated me as he struggled with the stubborn fixture.

"Plug it in!" he would say one minute, only to have me disconnect it the next minute. Once the house lights blinked, and my electrician husband did something at the fuse box.

Finally Howard replaced the milk-glass globe. His next words were, "Now bring me that tall thing that goes in the middle." I knew he meant the lamp chimney that fits over the light bulb and extends out the fluted top. With a sigh of relief, he was finished, and the lamp glowed brightly again.

The Bible says the light, or lamp, of the body is the eye. Matthew 6:22; Luke 11:34. How important it is that our eyes see the right things and perceive the right image. How easy it is to see the worst of a situation, rather than anticipate the best outcome!

I like Paul's instructions to the church at Philippi when he says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things," Philippians 4:8.

Sometimes our thinking has to be rewired! To do that, we have to be "plugged in" to the One who is our power source! Jesus said, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid...Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven," Matthew 5:14, 16.

Our lamp chimney stabilizes and protects the bulb and insures the bright light. Jesus is our protection, and if we rely on Him, I doubt we will "blow a fuse!"

No comments:

Post a Comment