Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Food for Thought!

Yesterday at our Senior Ladies' Breakfast, someone mentioned bread, and I asked them if they had heard of Dave's "Killer" Bread.  They were all ears, so I told them how much my husband and I like this healthy bread, especially the "White Bread Made Right." The funny part is that the baker learned to make it in prison!

I also gave them a tip for some green beans that we like.  It  just so happened that while we were at our son's house eating Easter dinner, I commented on how tasty the green beans were that my daughter-in-law served. "How did you make them?" I asked, to which she replied, "Oh, they're from a can at Walmart!"

She gave me the name, Glory Seasoned Green Beans, and I wasted no time in stocking up on them! The ladies were incredulous, especially when I told them I had taken a crock-pot full of them to a church dinner, and they were all eaten!

Later in the afternoon, we attended services for a friend we had known well at a former church. She had requested that her funeral be a time of celebration and praise. Many warm and amusing remembrances were given by her sister and a former pastor, as they reflected not only on her exemplary life, but also on her fun personality and sense of  derring-do!

One story was about the time when they lived close to a mountain in Colorado, and the older sister, age 10, suggested to the then-five-year-old telling about it, that they climb the mountain behind their house. It was rough and slippery, but after awhile, it was getting late, and big sis decided it was time to go home, despite the fear of crumbling rocks under their feet.

At  some point, they thought they detected a faint cry in the distance. They recognized the voice of their mother, who never stopped calling their names. They knew they were headed in the right direction by the sound of her voice.  She had been worried out of her mind and was so glad to welcome the scruffy girls safely home!

Her point was that Jesus knows us and is calling our name.  He won't give up on us if we will heed Him.

I thought of the tasty bread and the food I was so eager to share about.  Jesus called himself the Bread of Life.  When the disciples asked Him to eat in John 4:31, Jesus told  them He had food to eat that they knew nothing about. John 4:32. He said that His food was to do the will of His Father, verse 34.

May we be as eager to share the Bread of Life as we are to share about earthly food, and to think of our work in telling others about Jesus as our food! And if we listen for and  follow His voice, we will be going in the right direction!




No comments:

Post a Comment