Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Safe Arrival!

Yesterday was April 1st. April Fool's Day!  And it seemed the joke was on us!  I had been busily preparing for our Easter trip to see family in Texas.  Plans were that we would pick up our son Greg from the airport where he would return from a two-month stint of work in Chicago. He would go with us and drive his sporty red car on our trip.

We would take Greg's car to the airport, so Howard removed its protective cover and got it ready to go by taking it for a fill-up while I got things ready for the trip in the morning.  A little later the phone rang, and my husband's first words said it all: Car trouble!  He was at the Ford agency getting it checked out and wanted me to pick him up.

Well, the car wasn't ready when we had to leave for the airport, so we took our car.  I was conscious of getting too warm  and realized our A/C had stopped working!  I finally had to sit in the back seat to escape the sun that was beating in my window.  We weren't crazy  about driving into Tulsa, anyway, where there were always troublesome detours, much preferring the easy drive to Wichita where we usually picked up our son.

Thankfully, things went relatively smoothly, and the flight was actually early.  Despite our GPS, we managed to get turned around a bit leaving town, but soon got on the right road. It was getting late in the day, so we looked for a place to eat, but before we knew it the city was behind us with no restaurants in sight.  Nearing home, Howard mentioned a place we had heard of but had never visited.  Greg knew the place and pounced on the idea.  It was off the beaten path in a small town I hadn't been through since I was a child and my dad would take that route.

I had heard the restaurant down-played as not fancy, but as having excellent steaks.  I was pleasantly surprised at the rustic, beamed interior with its soaring ceiling, rough-hewn rock walls, huge buffalo hide stretched on a frame in the entry, and western motif.  The steaks Greg treated us to were wonderful, too, eaten at the pine-top table with massive carved legs and mismatched wooden chairs.

On the way home, Greg called the service department about his car, and it turns out they had to order the part, so it wouldn't be ready until at least the next afternoon, spoiling our plans for leaving this morning.  Hopefully, we can leave tomorrow and there will be no more set-backs!  I am so ready to see the little grands again, and our teen granddaughters who will be flying in with our daughter to meet us there!

No comments:

Post a Comment