Sunday, April 26, 2015

New Season

What is it about spring that makes you want to refresh, clean out, and clear out clutter around the house? One day I took a look at my house and knew some changes had to be made.  "Howard," I called, "Would you help me move  some of this stuff to the basement?"  Out went an extra rocker, a bedroom table, and a couple of chairs.

I had already begun to downsize my kitchen by moving a serving cart to the laundry room where it conveniently holds supplies.  Just a few changes really helped and opened up space. We stored winter clothes and relieved closet space.

Then I looked at the screened front porch.  "We need a new porch rug," my husband had been saying, to which I would reply, "Why? It would just get dirty!"  With my husband's farm-work hobby/job, he tracks a lot of dirt!

Yesterday was a beautiful, gorgeous Saturday, so nice after the leaden skies and unseasonably cool days lately.  "Let's go to Stillwater!" I suggested.  We love to go there for an outing, have lunch, and browse the discount stores.  "We could probably find a porch rug at Ross," I said tantalizingly.

Giving the area a perfunctory glance before looking in the clothing departments, I was disappointed that the space normally displaying rugs was bare.  Later, I looked further and saw a few small rugs in another aisle.  There was one possibility in the right size, though, so I called my husband to come see. He was tired and wanted to go home by then, but he finally agreed to look.  He was a little doubtful, but the price was right, so we bought it.

What a difference it makes to our porch!  The colors on the patterned rug blend with the furniture, and everything looks so bright and cheerful!  I rearranged by putting the garden wagon on the front patio to hold flowers, necessitating a few more helpful changes.  We were tired, in a good way, and we sat and lingered long and appreciatively over the improvements.

Change is necessary sometimes, even in our lives, and especially our spiritual lives.  We embarked on a change a couple of months ago to discontinue our cable service.  It was expensive, and really didn't have much on that was edifying.  I realize I am a lot less stressed without the constant alarming news riveting me to the screen.  I can find out what's happening in a calmer state by reading the daily newspaper, not to mention the internet.

I find I am reading more, giving time to Bible study preparation, and enjoying wholesome, Christian videos.  Listening to Christian music on the radio (I never was a radio listener) while I do my housework is uplifting and spiritually edifying. I have more time for prayer and meditation without the distraction of television viewing.

Spring cleaning can be a good thing!  It can add a spring to your step (my husband's favorite expression), and spiritually, give you springtime in your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment