Friday, October 19, 2012

Morning Splendor

This gorgeous fall weather kind of makes me nostalgic.  I commented to my husband yesterday as we were driving along in the glorious sunshine and crisp temperatures that I missed the home in Mississippi where we had raised our children.  "Why is it so easy to want to live in the good times of the past?" I wondered aloud.  "When, as Christians, we know that the best times are ahead of us!"

"We really should be excited about that," I admitted, "because the Bible says that the path of the just gets brighter every day!"  I looked it up when I got home and found in Proverbs 4:18, "But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day."

Not only do we enjoy God's favor in our own lives, but we have a responsibility to others, too. That means, as life goes on, we should be more of an example and spread the light to those around us!

David used these words in telling of job qualifications for ruling he had received from God, but they are applicable to every light bearer: "And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out the earth by clear shining after rain," II Samuel 23:4.  That sounds like transparency, compassion, and a warm welcome, to me.

Matthew 5:13, calls us the salt of the earth, and in verse 14, the light of the world.  Jesus says in the next verse, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

I will always treasure memories in my heart of our children growing up, and of the times we enjoy with them today and the people they have become. But my life apart from my children is still important, fulfilling, and getting brighter every day, with every morning an ever-rising promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment