Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Perfect Fit!

"TJMaxx," I read absently on a sign as we were leaving Stillwater the other day.  Then, doing a double-take, I said to Howard, "Did that say TJMaxx?  I didn't know they had a store here!"  Just then I spotted another sign on a building, "TJMaxx, Opening Soon."  I was elated!  My favorite store, now to be only half as far as the closest one in Wichita!   I think I smiled all the way home!

It's funny how little things can brighten your day.  Besides that, I have a new hobby!  Well, not new, but expanded.  I have always loved Scrabble.  I even got a beautiful, deluxe set for Christmas, but the giant board doesn't come out of its box very often.  Everyone is so busy.  But while I was at my daughter, Julie's, house recently, she introduced me to playing it on the internet!  Now I have several friends playing with me online!  It's strictly at our convenience, so playing time is flexible.

There is only one problem.  Many words I play are not accepted as words, even though they are in the dictionary!  And many strange ones my opponents play that are not in the dictionary are accepted!  Frustrating!  Another drawback is that it is not easy to align the letters to attempt words as it is with a physical letter tray.  But despite the drawbacks, it is very addictive (a drawback?) and fun!  The high I get from making a great word makes up for the agony of defeat.

The intrigue of playing a word game (or any  other game, I suppose), is that you have to work with what you have been given, then take the time to try to figure out how to use it to your best advantage.  Sometimes it seems we have nothing to work with.  Those letters couldn't possibly make a word.  But then there is the unknown factor of what the other person will play, making available a whole new set of possibilities! Or something will pop into your head seemingly out of nowhere that makes perfect sense of the jumble of letters before you!

Just like life.  We  all have our limitations.  (Or do we?)  Yet there is something worthwhile within each of us if we just take the time to look for it, recognize it, and develop it!  There is a saying that God doesn't make junk!  We may not act, look, or think like any another person, but that is  because we are unique.  God says he knew us before we were ever born, has determined where we would live, and how long we would live and has good plans for us!  (Jeremiah 29:11, Psalm 139:16, Acts 17:26.)  Our unknown factor is what God will do when we make ourselves available to Him!

I can't wait for the new store to open!  It opens up a whole new set of possibilities in my wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment