Saturday, May 12, 2012

Super Heroes

I have been reading an inspirational book in which there are many stories and true accounts of people seeing angels, or realizing that an angel must have helped them and saved them from harm.

It made me think of a time when I was quite small, small enough to be sleeping in a crib (not that it was my crib, I must have just gotten into it one night). Anyway, I woke up to see a white form standing over me. Not moving or saying anything, just calmly standing there. I quickly covered my head and lay there sweating and fearful; then when I looked again, it was not there.

In retrospect, since I was probably four or five at the time, I wonder now if it had something to do with the accident that happened around that time. I got in front of our plow horses that my daddy was driving from the pasture, was run over and taken to the hospital where I spent three days. I don't remember the moment of impact, just waking up in the car and begging to be allowed to go to sleep, then waking again as a patient sometime later. It was a miracle that I recovered without long-lasting effects, but they said everybody was praying.

Perhaps an angel had been sent to check on his assignment? Or maybe I had caught a glimpse of my guardian angel, somehow visible during a time of impending danger or a time when the curtain between this life and the next is drawn back a little.

When our daughter, Julie, was sixteen, she was in a car accident and taken by ambulance to a New Orleans hospital 50 miles away for surgery. Her father and I were in the recovery room with her when she came out of surgery, along with our pastor's wife. Later, we mentioned something about it, and Julie said, "Who else was in the room with you?" We told her no one was there except the three of us. She said there were four people in the room, one standing over in the corner. We've often wondered it that was an angel, there during her time of trauma.

My husband is always saying he would like to see an angel sometime. I invariably insist that he shouldn't say that, because it might mean he's about to die! Angels seem to flit in and out of our lives when needed, not interfering with human activities unless absolutely necessary. The Bible says they are ministering spirits, sent to minister for them who will be heirs of salvation, Hebrews 1:14. Even though we don't usually see them, we can be sure they are on the job, fulfilling their duty and watching over us earthlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment