Monday, March 12, 2012

Traveling Mercies

A traffic pile-up! A parent's (and grandparent's) worst nightmare! "Mom, did you see the pictures on Facebook?" my daughter asked over the phone. I gasped when I saw them. Our teen grandchildren, Reid and Corrin, had been involved in a wreck, rear-ended by cars with crumpled hoods lined up behind them. A car had braked suddenly in front of them on rain-wet streets, forcing their sudden stop.

"Are they okay?" the frantic question leaped from my lips. They were fine! All the other cars had obvious damage, but theirs was relatively unscathed! Thank you, Lord! Was it the stability of the well-built car, or the presence of guardian angels? Both, I'm sure!

The kids had just returned from Winterfest, a 3-day youth retreat, where they had been in glorious, spiritual services with evangelists and singing groups. They had safely navigated themselves through miles of Atlanta area traffic to and from the church for their hours-long bus trip, and now as Reid was taking his sister to her golf tournament after school on Monday, the unexpected happened.

How quickly things can change! Thankfully, there were no injuries that I know of in the accident, but one of the pictures that captured the scene in dramatic detail said it all. The yellow bulk of a school-bus loaded with their schoolmates gaping at the bus windows was a poignant backdrop filling the screen as it squeezed by the morass. It could have been worse.

I'm glad I had prayed for all my grandchildren that morning. I'm sure the enemy was not happy that they had had their lives spiritually renewed in the atmosphere of worship and praise, preaching and teaching and re-dedication they had been in over the week-end. They have been preserved and protected by angels because God has a purpose for their lives.

Jeremiah 29:11 promises, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end (a future and a hope)." Thank you, God, for that promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment