Friday, March 2, 2012

Of Human Nature

I just read a book about shepherds and sheep, and I found out sheep are creatures of habit. They go down the same trails until they turn into ruts or even gullies and engage in other repetitive, destructive practices. A comparison of people to sheep in the Bible was noted, especially in our tendency to go astray.

Well, I admit I'm a creature of habit, and it has been brought home to me several times lately. One day we shopped at a certain grocery store, and as we got ready to pay, the clerk said, "Debit? No cash back?" I smiled and said that she must remember us. She nodded and said, "And you always want to look at the display screen!"

She was right! This store checks out at lightning speed, so I position myself to see the running tab for acccuracy! When she must have hundreds of customers weekly, I was amazed she remembered this about us!

A few days ago, Howard and I stopped for lunch at Sonic, something we do on a semi-regular basis. The car-hop said, "Where have you two been? I've missed bringing out two junior deluxe burgers, hold the onions and mayonnaise on one, substitute mustard, one unsweet tea and one sweet tea!" She knew or usual order exactly, and we had gotten a different waitress many times!

We went into another fast food place one day, and the cashier chorused our order even as we gave it: "One chili, baked potato w/sour cream'n'chives, small chicken nuggets and chocolate frosty." So, we order off (what used to be) the Dollar Menu!

Today we went there for lunch, and I asked Howard to order for me while I stopped by the ladies' room. "No, I can't order for you," he protested. "I'll wait for you." I reminded him that if the cashier already knew my order, he should at least be able to remember it. He reluctantly agreed and said he would do it.

When I sat down at the booth, I thought my baked potato looked funny with something brown in it. He had ordered it with bacon! "What is this ranch dressing for?" I asked him. He said he just thought I might enjoy it!

Well, maybe I'm the one who is the creature of habit, rather than my husband! The book said sheep were just below pigs in intelligence, and I may be compared to a sheep, but who's potato is the bacon on?

No comments:

Post a Comment