Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Blessings

“Michaela, can you bring your mom’s iron from the church? I need to press my Easter dress,” I asked my granddaughter on my cell phone. The iron was evidently pressed (no pun intended) into service when they were touching up bridesmaids’ dresses or something. Michaela, her sister and cousin, Allison, were at the church cleaning up from the wedding.

“I’m sorry, Mimi,” she said, “we have left the church and are on the way to Bethany’s. She said you could use her iron. I’ll bring it to you.” I told her I would return it tomorrow at church. Such a lot of trouble for such a little thing! It was worth it, though. The Spring dress was just right for the lovely weather, and I had accidentally left the alternative cool-weather dress at daughter Amy’s house in Georgia. We had gone from cool, to warm, to chilly and now hot on this trip, and I had tried to prepare for everything.

We had an inspiring Easter service in our kids' beautiful, stately church with Howard leading the song service in his inimitable style and our son-in-law, Steve, bringing a timely message. The new Mrs. Raines, back from her wedding trip to Gatlinburg, even graced the pulpit and favored us with a lovely solo in her clear, ringing voice. Afterward, there was a sumptuous feast for all in the gymnasium, still festive with wedding décor from her reception, and with plenty of wedding cake for dessert!

In the evening, the young women of the family, accompanied by Howard and myself, saw the inspirational movie, “Soul Surfer”. It is the story of Bethany Hamilton, the 13-year-old surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack, and her way back to finding new purpose in life. What a heart-warming way to end a wonderful day.

Our plans are to meet Mark and Rhonda, our son and daughter-in-law, in Boone, North Carolina (a couple of hours away) today. They have had an unused gift of a reservation there for some time at a Bed and Breakfast and wanted us to join them for a couple of days. We weren’t sure if the accommodations would fit us all, but they called this morning with the news that the lodging is actually a house! We passed through Boone (Franklin Graham’s “Samaritan’s Purse” is based there) once before and the scenery is spectacular! God is so good to provide all the details of this wonderful trip. I think, like us, He also likes to surprise His children sometimes!

1 comment:

  1. Thelma,

    What a wonderful way to spend the Easter season. Family time is the best!

    ReplyDelete