Saturday, January 22, 2011

Persistence

A couple of weeks ago I had the futile (I thought) experience of displaying my books at an estate sale, as a result of a gracious invitation by the proprietors. Bargain hunters and book signings don’t mix, I found out, and I was a little down and puzzled over the situation, as I felt God was in it.

Then this morning my phone rang, and an unfamiliar voice asked for me. She identified herself as organizer of the Northern Oklahoma Literary Arts Book Festival. She said she had seen me at an estate sale, but she felt like they were being herded through (my sentiments, exactly), and she didn’t get to stop. I was invited to be part of the Festival! Many authors will be present, displaying their books and offering them for sale. It will be held at an historic mansion here, now known as the Art Center. Tables will be set up, and there will be a reading room where excerpts of the books may be shared or children’s books read aloud.

Who knew? (Well, He did, of course!) Since it will be held in May, I will have time for the other book I am working on to be ready. I was told that the event will be heavily promoted and advertised. (Our town is big on festivals and events.) So it is something to look forward to. Although I have been disappointed before, it seems God always gives me a nudge of encouragement at just the right time.

Other venues I have explored seemed to have trailed off, but I am patient. After all, the Bible does say in Ecclesiastes 11:1 to “Cast thy bread upon the waters, for thou shalt find it after many days.” Then in the next verse, it advises, “Give a portion to seven, and also to eight, for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.” I’m not sure about the meaning of the last verse, but it sounds like more you share, the better the outcome.

Our lives are a venture (and adventure) of faith. Step by step He leads us. And although it may not be a scripture, it is true that God works in mysterious ways. That is part of the adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Thelma,

    Only God could orchestrate such a wonderful surprise...He truly does work in mysterious ways!

    I'm rejoicing with you in this good news.

    ReplyDelete