Thursday, June 23, 2016

Home Sweet Home

"Mimi, can I have a tour of the house?" my little granddaughter Maddie asked me.  They had just gotten here from Houston, and she had been spying things and pointing out  pictures of their family scattered around.  She's seven now, and only three the last time they were here.  No wonder Maddie didn't remember being here!

Not that we hadn't seen Jamie and Tammy's family frequently, it just seemed simpler for us to go there before Howard's health problems than for them to get away from work and travel with, especially, a young baby.  But he's bigger now, and he enjoyed the plane ride!

I smiled at Maddie's request, knowing that they often hear that from friends seeing their big house for the first time. I have been to their third floor, but it is not something I do often. Well, it didn't take long to go through our kitchen and the two bedrooms she hadn't seen.  "Is that Anne-Marie?" Maddie questioned at a framed collage of her big sister's newborn pictures.  

"Yes," I said, "and I have one of you like that, but it is packed away somewhere from when we moved, and I haven't been able to find it!"  That didn't seem to faze her, as the little red-head curiously noted this and that item of interest.  She was particularly fascinated by some decorative checker boards and soon put them to good use.

What our  heavenly home will look like is an undying source of lyrics for  many imaginative hymn and gospel song writers. We are told of mansions over the hilltop and just wait till you see my brand new home.  Some say the sights are too numerous to tell, or I can only imagine.  One wants their mansion next to the throne and some want a cabin in the corner of glory land.

But really, our imaginations are not capable of visualizing what it will be like.  "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." I Corinthians 2:9. Jesus tells us in John 14:2-3, that He goes to prepare a place for us and that "...where I am, there ye may be also."

We won't have to be content to see loved ones' pictures on the wall, but we will actually see them! Who knows, they may actually look like our cherished photos of them when they were young and healthy! What a day that will be! And I can't wait to take the tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment