Monday, May 16, 2016

New Horizons!

"Mimi, I'm in the Horizon program!" my third-grade granddaughter said proudly on Face Time. I knew this was the gifted class. Our son had already told us about it, and I knew they at first thought her scores weren't high enough, but they could appeal, and upon teacher's recommendation, she would be admitted. "My daddy appealed!" she finished. 

But of course!  Anne-Marie is a very bright child.  "She probably just overthought something," I had said, as Jamie chuckled in agreement at the thought of his conscientious daughter.  Anne-Marie had someone to appeal her case! It reminded me of how the Bible speaks of Jesus.  It says in I John 2:1 that we have an advocate with the father. 

"And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." A defense attorney!   The Bible also says that he intercedes for us!  "Wherefore he is able to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25.

Who hasn't gone to bats for their child? As parents, we know our children, their strengths and abilities, and if we feel a decision isn't right, we speak up! Hopefully not in the obnoxious ways of some sports fathers, but as an advocate, or go-between.

The Bible says in Jeremiah 1:29 that God knows the plans he has for us. In Psalm 139:17, the psalmist David writes, "How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! (18) If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee."

Jesus valued and highly esteemed children, taking them on his lap and saying in Matthew 19:14 that "of such is the kingdom of heaven.." He said of them in Matthew 18:10, "Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."

We may not know the plans He has for our children and grandchildren, but we can make sure they take advantage of positive opportunities! Who knows what is on their horizon?

No comments:

Post a Comment