Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Forget Me Not!

"What is wrong with this cake mix!" I exclaimed aloud. It was angel food, and I was mixing the contents of the egg white packet with my mixer.  It was taking forever! For one thing, the beaters were making a weird clicking sound.  I had thought about using a whipping mixer I have, but opted for my regular one that I thought had higher power. Reaching for the other mixer, I picked it up and saw I had one of its beaters in the one I was using!  No wonder it clacked!

My glance happened to fall on the labeled cake mix packets.  What? The egg white pack was lying there unopened, and the batter one was empty!  No wonder the eggs wouldn't  whip!  What could I do?  I  had already added the water for the egg whites to the flour batter. In desperation, I just poured the whites in.  Needless to say, the glorious, tall, angel-food cake I had anticipated was about an inch high! (It tasted good, though, if a little rubbery!)

The next morning my husband wanted waffles for breakfast.   I took out the waffle maker and poured in the batter to which I had added blueberries. Absently gazing at the appliance as I waited, it suddenly materialized before my eyes as the Grill Mate!  My waffle maker was still under the counter!  The food wasn't waffled, but it had grill marks, and Howard didn't complain!

I guess happenings like this are part of growing older, but it sure makes life interesting! Take the other day, for instance.  We were at the grocery store, and I saw a stainless steel dish drainer among the kitchen items featured.  "Look, Howard," I said, "I used to have one of these, but I don't know what happened to it," figuring it was a casualty of moving a few years ago.  I had been using a plastic drainer ever since.

I went ahead and bought the collapsible drainer.  I enjoyed using it at home, then put the dishes away and folded the drainer.  Where would be a good place for it?  Deciding to store it beside wire shelving below my pot rack, I saw it was a tight fit.  And why was  that?  I already had one exactly like it there!  Oh well, now I have two, the better to hold the rack of pots and pans I have to wash!

Hurrying out the door for church yesterday, I picked up my old, but favorite, Bible.  It didn't look like much, especially since my fastidious husband had recently repaired the spine with a strip of mailing tape.  But I love the comments and study helps, perfect for Sunday School class.  For some reason, I couldn't locate the verses the teacher was reading from and had a hard time following the lesson, especially since he was re-teaching last week's lesson and my quarterly booklet was open to the current date. 

Finally I realized what was wrong!  I  had forgotten this was the Bible with one page missing from the book of Ephesians!  I had kept the loose double-page inserted there for years, never figuring out how to fix it.  It must be lost or misplaced somewhere! And that just had to contain the exact passages we studied today!  Thankfully we have dozens of other Bibles at home, so God's word is not lost.  It makes me think of the scripture, Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee," Psalms 119:11.  That is one thing we cannot afford to forget, lose, or misplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment