Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Excess Baggage

"Oh, no!"I exclaimed aloud as we rolled along the highway on our way home.  My husband looked at me questioningly, and I said, "I think I left my pillow at Jamie's!"  I had straightened the bed, placing my pillow on top of the others so I would be sure to notice it. Then I was so caught up in emptying the closet, gathering toiletries from the bathroom and picking up sundry scattered items that I didn't notice my pillow.

The pillow was actually a Christmas present.  Since I had complained effusively about all our bed pillows, Howard bought me a new one.  And it slept like a dream!  So often when visiting or sleeping in a hotel, I find the pillows too hard and too plump. I prefer a soft, thinner pillow that doesn't give me a crick in my neck!

Unpacking at home that night,  I couldn't find my toothbrush.  Not just any toothbrush, my electric toothbrush!  I remember using it right before I finished packing when leaving our other son Trevor's house.  I must  have left it on counter of our grandsons' bathroom we used. I felt like the pioneers leaving articles strewn across the desert on their way west!  They had had to lighten their load for speed, since time was of the essence in getting to their destination before winter.

We could have lightened our load by a little more planning!  I think my spouse just cleared a rack in his closet and put the contents in the car.  About halfway through our trip, the rod holding the clothes over the back seat broke!  I took too many clothes, too, but at least I wore everything, while he got by on two or three outfits!

Besides our wonderful visits with our kids, we enjoyed browsing favorite shops in their area that we don't have at home.  This led to picking up this or that cute item, especially at places like Cracker Barrel, and now I am hard-pressed to find a place for them in my full house!  We even squeezed in a small cabinet and picture set our son was discarding!

Although Jesus was an itinerant Preacher, he traveled light.  Seemingly folks then had only one or two changes of clothing, unless they were rich or noble.  He was in effect, homeless. "And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."

After the summary of the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11, the next chapter reads, "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great  a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us," Hebrews 12:1.

I love making a home, and my spouse loves my decorating,   But when it comes to decor, enough is enough! (But I still have to shop for a pillow and toothbrush!)

No comments:

Post a Comment