Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tell All

I wonder if anybody read what I wrote? I wondered as I clicked on Facebook.  Checking the site is something I find myself doing frequently after I post something.  Then a thought occurred to me. What if Jesus is checking out His Facebook (the Bible) to see if anyone read what He wrote? Do our words have more significance than His? One might think so, by the way we avid fans spend time on our computers, iPads, iPhones or Tablets.

But it is always such a rush to get "likes" or positive comments, especially to pictures.  After all, our FB friends are usually complimentary. And we want others to appreciate our darling grandchildren, tots, graduates, brides, pets and achievements.  Not to mention our "selfies."  Of course, there are the heartfelt prayer requests that are shared, many that bring tears and prayers.  Or promises to pray. But it is easy to forget our promise when there is so much news to catch up on.

 I read recently a study proposing that social media might cause depression in some.  If their lives do not have the excitement, possessions,  and/or fun that they read about in others, they may feel dull in comparison and feel they are missing out.  I suppose there is some value to that line of thought. Naturally, we mostly write about what we are proud of, or find interesting or entertaining, although some will air their dirty laundry or issue subliminal, vague hints at or about someone they are mad at.  

One thing about the Bible: It tells it like it is.  It does not whitewash the truth and gloss over the frailties and sins of its characters.  We see the good, the bad, and the ugly in unvarnished reality. But we also see the plan of redemption throughout its pages. We can  be sure that Jesus loves our children, our families and our friends, even more than we do.  I heard once the saying, and I believe it's true, that if something is important to you, it is important to God.

The Lord sees every prayer request we post, and reads every prayer we offer in response.  He gets glory from every shared testimony and answer to prayer.  But to build our faith, our knowledge, our fellowship with Him, we can't neglect His Word.  It is His letter to us!  Our E-(Evangel) mail! His Text for our lives! 

We have distractions today that are  far more complicated than those of early-day Christians.  They gathered at the well  to hear the news, or saw some Roman soldier tearing through with a decree. We are blessed with leisure, convenience and luxury they could never know, even the very rich or royal. But with it comes the temptation to neglect our spirits and eternal soul.  

Thank God for the discoveries and inventions we have.  I personally believe they were made possible by Him to facilitate spreading the gospel.  The Bible says that in the last days knowledge will be increased. (Note that it does not say wisdom.) Certainly knowledge and information have grown exponentially, with the world at our fingertips or in our pocket cell phone. But no knowledge surpasses the Word of God.  I think I will go read what He wrote! I'm sure it won't leave me depressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment