Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Time Marches On

Many years ago my husband brought home a handsome, 8-day wall clock. I can't remember if it was a family Christmas gift or something he had bought from a merchant when he worked in New Orleans. The clock was always packed and taken with us on our several moves since then, the comforting tick-tock a friendly background in our daily lives and the dependable striking of the hour a given.

A few months ago, the clock stopped keeping accurate time, but it was still beautiful in its walnut frame, the familiar face and brass gong as cheerful as ever, so we didn't take it down. One day, our son Greg told us he thought he could fix the clock. Being very mechanical as he is, I had no doubt he could.

But Greg was called out of town for work for six weeks, leaving the dismantled clock on a table in the bedroom with a "Do Not Touch" sign on top of it. That was fine. It wasn't really in my way. One day our son called and asked if a box had been delivered for him. It hadn't, but I told him I would watch for it. Probably guitar equipment, I figured.

When a large box came, I placed it on the floor by the table holding the disabled clock. Hm. That's odd, I thought, the box is same size as the clock! He must have given up on fixing the old one, I surmised.

When I told Greg the box had come, he said, "That's your Christmas present. You can wrap it if you want." I wrapped it in my prettiest paper with a festive ribbon and decorative golden frond stuck under the bow.

At Christmas, Greg told me to unwrap it, saying he hoped I hadn't guessed what it was. "Well, the label said, 'Glass,'" I said,but I didn't tell him about my suspicion.

I was right! A gorgeous, expensive-looking walnut wall clock met my delighted gaze. "A clock!" I exclaimed, glad my hunch was right!

Now we have a clock that not only sounds the hour, but also has beautiful Westminster chimes! The sounding of the gong reminds me of the lovely treat we had at our home in Mississippi several times a day when the chimes from the gracious old church next door pealed through the air with nostalgic hymns!

Today is New Year's Eve. Tomorrow begins the futuristic date of 2015! A scrap of a verse from an old hymn we used to sing comes to mind: "Time's clock is striking the hour, Jesus will soon be here..." I don't remember the rest of it, but the song deals with making sure we are ready for the coming of the Lord. The best New Year's resolution of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment