Thursday, September 4, 2014

Balancing Act

OMG! Someone fraudulently got our card number! The bank showed an expenditure in Florida, where we had not been on this trip! A wasted vacation morning was spent on calls, faxing, and fixing before we could enjoy strolling the quaint streets of downtown Jonesborough, Tennessee's oldest city.

We still had a bad taste in our mouth from a couple of shoddy incidents we experienced before on this trip. I had selected a bottle of water for 99 cents at a convenience store and was charged $1.29. We were promised a free dessert at a restaurant, then charged for it. My husband called it to their attention, and it was grudgingly removed from our tab, but the deduction was never shown on our statement.

Howard had gone in to buy a candy bar at a service station and noticed it was on sale for $1.89. They charged $2.19 at the register and were disgruntled at having to price-check. While most of these infractions were minor, it seemed to show a pattern of deception becoming all too common in retailing.

Thankfully, there are many pleasant memories of our trip that outweigh the disappointments. On entering a dollar store in Tennessee, our ears were met with a courteous, engaging voice on the intercom announcing store specials. Something about the enthusiasm and timbre of the voice made me say, "That sounds like a preacher!"

As we were checking out, Howard complimented the clerk on the store's announcement. The man's voice when he said, "I'm just trying to live for Jesus," prompted my husband to ask, "Was that you?" to which he answered, "Yes, and I wish He was coming back today!"

The woman behind us in line said, "Me, too!" and I said, "Me, too!" also.

Turns out the man behind the register was the store manager. "We go to a Bible study back in Oklahoma taught by the manager of one of these stores!" Howard shared.

When a cashier at a quick stop a few days before said, "Have a blessed day!" as we headed out the door, Howard turned around and said, "I'm glad I came in here!" He gave her and the girl beside her one of the scripture cards that he carries. The piercings at the edge of their smiles didn't detract from their look of sincerity as they promised to keep the cards.

On our way home, we were trying to decide whether or not to have the meatloaf special offered at Cracker Barrel. "Could I have a bite as a sample to see if I like it?" I ventured to the friendly waitress. She went to check, and though it wasn't permitted, we both ordered it. I was surprised (though I don't know why), when I heard Howard say when the server brought our lunch, "Would you ask the blessing over our food?"

"I sure will," she replied, then bowed her head and said, "Lord, I ask you to bless the food of these young people and give them safety on their travels and meet every need they have. In the precious name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen." We thanked her and heard her say as she walked off, "I've never had that happen before!" Then, in an undertone, the mumbled words, "In season and out of season," as she went away shaking her head.





No comments:

Post a Comment