Saturday, August 9, 2014

Heartthoughts: Growth Chart

"There was a crooked, little old man who found something...something... as he walked along," my son said in sing-song to his daughter during supper last night. I picked up the ditty and finished for him, "There was a crooked man who walked a crooked mile, and found a crooked six-pence upon a crooked stile. He bought a crooked cat which caught a crooked mouse, and they all lived together in a little crooked house."

Just then our other granddaughter joined in by doing finger plays to "Here is the church house, and here is the steeple, Open up the door and look at all the people!" and "Here is mother's silverware, here is mother's table, Here is sister's looking glass, and here is baby's cradle," as she looked knowingly at me, since I had taught the rhymes to her. It's always been fun for me to show my grandchildren little amusements like this that never fail to fascinate. I guess that's what grandmothers do.

I'm surprised at how quickly they catch on and remember, especially Kate, who is nine. Earlier this summer, I attempted to teach making folded-paper boats to a children's class at church, coinciding with a lesson about Jesus and boats. A couple weeks later, I asked Kate if she remembered that, and it turns out she not only remembered, but had been making the origami boats for kids in her class at school!

Not long ago they brought a balloon pump and balloons over. "Can you make balloon animals?" I asked Kate. I was amazed as she began inflating the tubular balloons, twisting and fashioning them into dogs, giraffes, and other creatures as well as an adult!

I had been baby-sitting them for the day, and while they preferred watching television, we were able to pry them away from it for a trip to town and a promise to eat at McDonald's. Other errands brought many impatient omg's and rolled eyes by 7-year-old Beth, however. After more TV back in the cool air conditioning and my failed efforts at tempting them with going to the splash pad, I turned off the set and brought out my giant Scrabble board. Although met with, "I don't like Scrabble!" and "I don't know how to play!" frowns, before long my idea caught hold and they were engrossed in the game.

Soon they were laughing and figuring out words. "Is 'snot' a word?" Beth asked with a grin. We found a place for it. I looked over her letters to help a little later, finding it difficult and wondering if 'gad' was a word. "How about 'g-o-d'? she asked. Of course, God! She placed the letters with a look of triumph. Beth insisted on keeping score, carefully recording them on the columnar pad. I have noticed she has an affinity for numbers.

Nothing is more fascinating to me than watching gifts and interests develop in our grandchildren. We spent a little time with teen grandsons Kyle and Brad in Texas recently and enjoyed watching them hone their skills in golf. Patient and self-scrutinizing, they each emptied a bucket of golf balls, knocking them over a pond while we tried to follow the soaring trajectories. They apply the same dedication to practicing their musical instruments for band. Kyle is also passionate about gliding and film making.

From our grown-up grandchildren who are already making their way in the world, all the way down to baby Isaac, who is perfecting his crawling and standing skills, they are all a blessing. The Bible says children are a heritage of the Lord, and that goes for grandchildren, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment