Monday, March 4, 2013

A Sweet Smelling Savor

"When a princess dies, the world mourns.  When a saint dies, all heaven rejoices." This quote, from an editorial cartoon that appeared in newspapers after the close deaths of Princess Diana and Mother Teresa, was repeated by a congregant last night when church members were giving remembrances of our dear pastor's wife. This special memorial service was held at the pastor's request to record thoughts and fond memories of her by the congregation.

As each one stood or sat to speak into the microphone, the words that tumbled out became a collage of snapshots of a funny, spiritual and caring personality.  "When I first came here, I was nervous about coming to a new church," one lady in her mid eighties began.  "I thought, 'Why would I drive 30 miles round trip to a church when I had moved to Ponca to be closer to church?'  But the minute I stepped in and Clara greeted me, I felt so welcome.  She was like an angel standing there making me feel at home and setting me at ease at once."

Others echoed the same refrain several times during the evening.  They spoke of the loyal hospital visits from Pastor and his wife.  Of being certain of her prayers when they needed them, and of trust in her confidentiality in sensitive shared needs. "When my mother-in-law died, it was late at night in cold weather," one man said.  "I called the  pastor to tell him, and he asked if they should come out.  I told him there was no need this late, but Clara wouldn't have it any other way.  She said, 'We're going!'"  (I heard later that they hit a coyote that night, damaging their car slightly, but they made no mention of it then.)

Many recollections were given of small acts of kindness. "They brought me a flag once, to hang out front," a stooped, 90-year-old said. "It was the prettiest, bright little yellow flag. The wind tore it up, and when they visited at a later date, they noticed it was gone.  Then one day Pastor drove up and said, 'Clara sent this to you.' It was another flag to replace it," she finished in a voice trembling with emotion.

I recalled taking my seat one night to find a bottle of lotion sitting there. The label said "Pink Sugarplum," from Bath and Body. When I gestured to ask if she put it there, Clara nodded and smiled.  Howard told of when she baked a pie for him and brought it to church.  Another lady talked of a cactus plant Clara had given her.  "She knew I liked cactus," she explained.  "I even named it 'Clara' after her.  Then I thought, What if it's a male cactus?  But several months later I noticed that it had reproduced six little buds around the base."

"I never laughed so hard in church as I did at Charley and Clara," one elderly gentleman said.  "When he would say something to her from the pulpit and she would answer back at him, it was so funny."  Everyone enjoyed their repartee and her clever and witty retorts, which seemed to delight him as much as it did their flock.  It was obvious they were crazy about each other, even after 34 years of marriage.

"The first time I saw Clara, it was in a store, and I didn't know who she was," a member said as she stood.  "But I sensed something about her in her beautiful smile.  The same smile she had when she worshipped the Lord here in church, her face toward heaven and tears running down her cheeks."  No doubt the same smile she is wearing now in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment