Saturday, December 15, 2012

Little is Much

"God is my everything, my all in all; God is my everything, both great and small," the pastor led in a chorus last Sunday.  I thought about that yesterday as we saw God in the small things.  We had set out on some errands, first praying that God would help us in our efforts to wrap up some Christmas details. 

"Daily He loads us with benefits," my husband said confidently, quoting from his favorite Bible verse.  Knowing we had a lot to do that day and wanting to be efficient with time, I named three stores where we could possibly find what we were looking for.

"The first two will be expensive, but will likely have something, and the other one has bargains, but might not have it. So where do you want to go first?" I asked Howard.  Naturally, he chose the latter.

"There it is!" I exclaimed the minute we entered the store!  Just what we wanted, and at the right price!  Thank you, Lord!  We rushed home to include the items in a Christmas package to go out before 2:00 o'clock.  We hated to stand in long lines, so we would go to the P.O. in the supermarket where hopefully, they wouldn't be busy that early.

"Go to the basement and look for a box," I said, as I wrapped the gifts.  My husband came back with a too-large one he found in the garage.  I knew we had an assortment of boxes in the basement from moving, so I went down myself and came back with something a little smaller.  Praise God, everything fit, if a little snugly.
There were only two people ahead of us in the mailing line.  Another benefit!

By this time, we were hungry and headed to our favorite place for a bowl of chili.  The waitress included a frosty malt at no charge!  Stopping for a gallon of milk on the way home, I got some free decorated bags that would hold some bulky items in my closet and still fit with my craft-paper wrapping decor!

Our next chore was to feed the chickens in the country.  Yesterday we were thrilled to gather half a dozen eggs after days of eggless-ness.  There were only two today, but that would replace the ones we ate this morning!  God's favor!

We got back in plenty of time to pick up our grandchildren from school at 3:00 o'clock. "Can we have noodles?" they asked eagerly, awaiting their favorite snacks.  A small murmur of "thank yous" chorused sweetly as I set the warm bowls before them.  Greg said they had been working on their manners, and I noticed!  Little things mean a lot!

While they were here, Howard and I avoided any talk of the horrendous news on television of the tragedy in Connecticut.  Hopefully they won't hear about it, and by the time they go back to school on Monday it may have faded somewhat.  I pray that the suffering parents and families find God as their everything in the agonizing days ahead, as a million small things remind them of their loss. May they be grateful for the great blessings their children were to them and find solace in Him, the God of all comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment