Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tick-Tock

"Hi, Mom.  What are  you doing?" my son spoke over the phone.  I heaved a sigh and told him I was just about to lie down for a rest.  He wanted to know what I had been doing to be so tired.

"Did laundry, hung clothes, cleaned kitchen, walked all over Lowe's with Dad,  carried stored items from Greg's garage, and made lunch, to name a few," I said. 

Despite the interruption, I always enjoyed talking with Jamie.  He was on his way home from his class in a Master's program where he is studying Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. He was explaining how difficult it was, with something like 27 Greek meanings for the article adjective "the," so I asked him why try to reinvent the wheel.  After all, someone has already translated the scriptures for us. He gave an example of wind and spirit when Jesus is talking to Nicodemus about being born again that made me realize how fascinating it was to him.

I had just closed my eyes at the end of our conversation when his father came in from the backyard where he'd been working and asked what I was doing.  I think he said something about a nap, too.  When I opened my eyes again I stared uncomprehendingly at the clock.  It couldn't be showing 3:20!  I had slept over an hour! We  always pick up the grandkids at school by 3:00 o'clock! 

"Why did you go to sleep?" I demanded, staggering  into the bedroom, "You were supposed to wake me up!"  My husband jumped up bleary-eyed, I found the school's number and told them we were on the way.  The kids were the last ones waiting out front with a teacher.

Beth, the dramatic 5-year-old, threw up her hands in exasperation when she saw us,  pointed at me and said sternly, "Nevuh do that again!"  while her  mature, 7-year-old sister just resignedly got into the car, shaking her head.

I couldn't help thinking about the story of the 10 virgins in the Bible who  fell asleep while waiting for the bridegroom.  The Bible says they slumbered and slept while the bridegroom tarried, the five foolish ones running out of oil so that their lamps went out. In our busy-ness of life, may we be ever watchful for our Heavenly Bridegroom.  It may be later than we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment