Friday, August 24, 2012

Majoring on Minors

Breakfast looked so good!  I was hungry!  I had gone to special effort to make the biscuits Howard wanted and the grits I was in the mood for;  the eggs and turkey bacon were finished just as everything was ready. I had even put a handful of blueberries in a dish and placed a small bowl of rounded orbs of juicy, glistening watermelon on the table.

I sighed  with satisfaction as I surveyed the quaint little breakfast table we'd found that just fit into our kitchen.  After the blessing, I  reached for the pepper to sprinkle my eggs, when suddenly I was looking down at a thick black mass over everything!  The top had come off the shaker! "Why does everything happen to me when I try so hard!"  I couldn't help exclaiming. 

Just two days before, we had scheduled the cable man out to hook up our services after our recent move.  I was so excited to be back on internet and connected to the world again I could hardly wait for the appointment.  I was awake bright and early and had all the chores finished in preparation for the service call to be between 8:00 a.m. and noon.   He seemed to be taking his time,  though, I thought, when Howard remarked, "Who was that call from when the phone rang so long awhile ago?"

"What call?  Why didn't you answer it?  It was probably the cable man!"  I cried.  I called back the number and got the recording that since we hadn't answered, they would have to reschedule.  So, complaining profusely,  I had to wait another day (which I was afraid would be even longer). 

Well, I was able to salvage my breakfast, our living room is now alive with sound and color, and I am back online.  It had been an intense couple of weeks as I tried to reconstitute our house after moving our belongings back in, hanging pictures (the nails were still in the right places), unpacking and searching for lost items.  Where had I packed our stainless tableware?  We'd been using three forks and two spoons and sharing a knife for days!  I knew I had sorted it neatly into its tray, wrapped and tied a dishtowel around it and put it...where? Into a basket, I thought.  But unpacking some miscellaneous items yesterday, I spied the familiar bundle at the bottom of a box!  Praise God!

It wasn't the first time I had prayed and found something.  Retrieving things from storage, I searched high and low for my pot rack.  After several forays, I prayed once again, "God please let me find my pot rack." I raised my eyes and there it was, leaning against the wall beside a full-length mirror!

The house is beautiful again, and now I can reflect and thank God for my blessings.  He was there all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment