Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Picked Out!

"Everybody bring me your old credit cards!"  Jamie called, as he set a funny little device on the table.

"Why? Are you going to cut up our credit cards?" I  teased.  Three of our families were there, and we were curious.  "Just your expired ones," he answered.

I went to get my purse and pulled out several: AARP insurance cards, road service cards, and others I had stuck in my wallet.  He inserted one, pushed the lever, and out came a guitar pick! Howard was delighted!

Soon we had several, making as many as four picks at a time!  This was fun.  My husband was always losing guitar picks, and these were just the right thinness to suit his needs.  After a couple of dozen and a very entertaining half hour, we cleaned up the mess and our son put the cutter away.

Something out of nothing--always a rewarding feeling.  Or you might say our cards were repurposed!  Kind of like our lives as we grow older.  We might feel as if we are as useless as an expired, worthless piece of plastic.  And then, if we let Him, God can give us new purpose. We can suddenly find ourselves useful in bringing music to someone's life, just as the guitar picks are when my husband is playing guitar for the worship services at church, ministering at a nursing home, or just playing for the family.

I always felt my purpose was to raise a family.  But now the children we brought up are grown with families of their own, with some of their kids getting married and giving them grandchildren.  We live distant from most of them, but I find I have purpose in remembering their birthdays, sharing old stories when we are together, and living a life as an example as a Christian mother and grandmother.

At present, we are making our home with one of our sons and his family.  During school, we help with picking up the kids and watching over them when necessary.  I enjoy making occasional meals for the family.  Usually, our meals are from a prescribed menu, but I take the liberty of making traditional dishes of old favorites our kids grew up on.  Kitchen chores are a homely routine that I can do to be a blessing.

With so much time on my hands, I have repurposed myself to be a writer, recording what I hope are inspiring devotional thoughts.  I have four books out, in addition to my blog.  For the first time, I recently checked a tracking device on my blogs and found out they have been viewed over 12,000 times!  That alone inspires me! 

My main responsibility now is to be supportive  of my husband and his ministry.  We are eager to be used in a lifestyle that was repurposed over 25 years ago when he left the business world to go into full-time ministry.  It may be part-time now, but we are still making beautiful music together, with no expiration date in sight!  

No comments:

Post a Comment