Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Of Faith and Fellowship

I heard a rustle of activity and excitement at the door of the church as Sunday School came to a close and wondered what was going on. The pastor's wife! Clara was back! I hurried to greet her with a hug and said, "I was just telling Howard, even though Pastor can't come yet, I wish Clara could come."

"Oh, I could never do that!" she exclaimed with a wistful smile.

"But you just did!" I said, to which she surprised me by saying, "No, he's outside. They're getting him out of the car!"

What a happy day it was last Sunday when our pastor was wheeled into the church after an absence of 81 days following their car accident! The congregation rejoiced with them as they wept tears of joy. Asked to say a few words, Sister Clara stood and began, "I have a little great-granddaughter who has been in the middle of a custody battle. When she was returned to our granddaughter the other day, she heaved a sigh and said, 'I'm h-o-ome.' I feel the same way! I'm home."

"Let's sing Pastor's favorite song," Howard suggested, leading the service, and the congregation broke out in a hearfelt version of Pastor Charley's signature greeting song: "It's so good to be here, I'm so glad you came; It's so good to be here, Gathered in His name. Of all the places you could be, I'm so glad you're here with me; It's so good to be here, gathered in His name!"

My husband preached an amazing sermon as our pastor cheered him on from his place beside the first row. At the end of his passionate delivery, Howard encouraged everyone to be there for the evening service, when we would have special guests.

What a beautiful ending to a beautiful day as we were led in a concert of worship songs that evening by our guest pianist, followed by a clear and clarion call to follow the example of Jesus's life by our guest speaker.

The evening was bittersweet, as we closed with a send-off farewell to one who was being transferred to another job location out of state. The church had so embraced this young man who had been such a blessing during his temporary assignment in our area. His dedication, humility and passion for the Lord had inspired us, even as he further endeared himself to us with his Mississippi drawl and and twanging solos. He wiped away tears as he testified that though he might not ever come our way again, he would see us again at "home". Home. An appropriate theme for now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment