Monday, May 9, 2011

Silver Lining

Now I know how Jonah felt when his vine died! I came home from our trip to find the vines that afforded cool, green, privacy for one end of our screened porch gone! I knew our son had removed a tree for us while we were away, so I asked him about the vines. He had had a helper with him, who busied himself cleaning up leaves and branches, and Greg supposed he started pulling up vines and didn’t quit until my porch was denuded! I have a bamboo matchstick blind there, but it isn’t the same!

Despite our great memories of our vacation, I did come home with one unintended souvenir. No, not bedbugs from a hotel, but sore joints from climbing stairs! It seemed every place we stayed, except a couple of motels, had the bedrooms upstairs. Both daughters’ homes had two flights of stairs, the cabin in the mountains had stairs, and our last motel accommodation had stairs. I realize I’m not in the best of shape, but this is ridiculous! I have evidently strained some ligaments, especially in one knee.

This happened to me a few years ago when we lived upstairs in an apartment, but once I moved to street level again, the discomfort disappeared. I’ve been waiting for this to go away and trying to avoid a doctor visit, but something’s got to give! It’s unaccountably worse at night, so I am also losing sleep. The situation is complicated by the fact that I can’t take anti-inflammatory medicine, being allergic to aspirin as I am.

On the positive side, we had a lovely Mother’s Day picnic yesterday with several family members. Greg and Joanna asked us to meet them at 1:00 o’clock Sunday at Cann Gardens, where we found them at a table spread in the shade of a beautiful oak tree. Granddaughter Allison had prepared most of our lunch, including a chicken salad with apples and walnuts; pasta; and a cherry cheesecake. Greg had cut a ripe pineapple into wedges and placed them in neat rows in a dish, someone else had brought a relish tray, and grandson Adam made lemonade with strawberries floating in the glasses. The warm sun, lush surroundings and comfy quilts on soft grass made for a wonderful time of family camaraderie and conversation.

I had talked with all our six children, receiving thoughtful cards and wishes, plus the picnic and a pot of flowers. Son Jamie said something would arrive in the mail for me on Monday, and it did! Darling photos of their kids, just what I’d hoped for. Anne-Marie, 4, posed winsomely in a summer frock of blue and white stripes, the bodice covered in rows of scallops like waves at the beach. Two-year-old Maddie’s look-alike dress was a bit obscured as she nestled in her mommy’s arms, fingers in mouth for her signature pose, and again with plump knees bent under khaki shorts as she seated herself on a landscaping rock. More photos were included of her birthday party and Anne-Marie’s carefully chronicled first haircut. I have enough to keep me scrap booking for days. That shouldn’t hurt my knees! And my vines will grow back, so how can I pout? I count my blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment