Friday, February 18, 2011

With God

“Let me know the funeral details,” my son’s mother-in-law had written to him. “Delmar was a wonderful man. He was loved and respected in Waco,” she went on. And he was. On our infrequent visits, we could hardly go into a store or walk down the street with Delmar, my husband’s brother, for people wanting to stop and talk to him. A pastor there for nearly 50 years, he was well known by so many. All three Summers brothers were people persons, loving conversation and with a genuine interest in their fellowman.

We had gotten the phone call about 2:30 this morning with the news of his passing--unexpected, even though he had been ill the past few months. Howard did not go back to bed, although I found him dozing fitfully in a chair when I awoke. I saw where he had Bibles and scripture books spread out in front of him, and a notation that he had scribbled marking them as bringing comfort after the sad news. My eyes fell on one from Isaiah 57:18, “I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners.”

It seemed so appropriate, for now my brother-in-law was healed, led into God’s presence, never to be troubled by sickness or pain anymore, but comforted. Just as we on earth had known his ways, his kindnesses and thoughtfulness, God had also taken note of them. And He comforts us, his mourners, in our sorrow as well.

The wisdom and forethought of God was brought home to me again today when I got an e-mail about the Fibonachi numbers, a formula discovered in all of nature that points to a divine creator. The whorls, or spiral or circular pattern of fingerprints, flowers, nautilus sea shell, pineapples, pinecones, the human ear and even the spirals of our universe point to Intelligent design and bear the very finger print of God. How amazing that our brother is now in the brilliance of that Presence, no doubt all questions answered by the One who loves us and created it all.

1 comment:

  1. Thelma,

    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one.

    My prayers are with you and Bro. Howard, and all the family.

    We can only imagine what unspeakable beauty and joy your brother is experiencing right now...

    God bless you,
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete