Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happiness and Happenstance

”Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.” We have a new mouse around here. A wireless, computer mouse that my son gave me for a Christmas present, along with a laptop cover. My built-in “mouse”--a little pad with right and left clicks below the keyboard--was getting a little difficult, sticking unpredictably and trying my patience. I attempted to use the new one yesterday after repeated taps were futile in clicking the old one.

My grandson had explained the use of it thoroughly, but that was a few days ago. Somehow it seemed counter-intuitive, like trying to do hair while looking at the back of your head in a mirror. When I wanted the arrow to go up, it went down. When I tried to make it go left, it went right. I accidentally dropped the mouse and the bottom came off. Putting it back on, I saw that I had been holding the mouse backward! Turned around, it fit my palm and worked properly, the right and left click right where they were supposed to be, and the little roller easily accessible to scroll up or down.

Last night at church we filled shoeboxes chock full of small gifts for underprivileged children. One of the workers made Mexican hot chocolate to refresh us. I asked what Mexican hot chocolate was, and they said it contained cinnamon. It was very good, but I could not taste the cinnamon. “Can you smell?” someone asked me. “No,” I said, “that’s the reason I can’t taste!” They said it smelled wonderful, but it was lost on me. I only knew it was hot and sweet.

Tonight we went to see the Christmas lights in a special display out by the lake called “The Festival of Angels.” Besides angels, there is a bonanza of scenarios and vignettes simulating action by the timed sequence of the lights outlining the electrified figures. Gingerbread men run away, jump into a pond, and frolic on a jungle gym. Horses trotted in front of a covered wagon, its wheels turning without ever going anywhere. We watched as penguins hurried up a snowy slope, but we gave up on them sliding down the other side, as it seemed some of the bulbs were not coming on, rendering them invisible.

Tomorrow night we will attend a Christmas party for the church staff, wrapping up our pre-Christmas activities before we leave to see family for Christmas. I am taking gifts unwrapped in a carry-on, hoping to avoid delays in security. Travel can be fraught with opportunities for glitches and frustrations, but in spite of minor disappointments, it will be worth it to see loved ones. Christmas isn’t perfect, but it does celebrate the Perfect Gift, the One who makes it all worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. Thelma,

    I pray that you and Bro. Howard have a wonderful and blessed Christmas with your family.

    And may your travel be safe with no complications!

    Marsha

    P. S. ~ Oh, and Mexican hot chocolate IS good!

    ReplyDelete